If I have talked about sequestration once over the past few days, it has been a hundred times. Everyone–workers, contractors, politicians–is asking what I think is going to happen. Of course, I have no idea. But since I don’t think anyone inside the beltway has the ability to think rationally or use common sense, I simply choose to look past whatever is going to happen and choose to plan for taking market share from those who panic.
I think we can be pretty certain…
- The federal government is not going to fold. If that happens, it won’t matter who has what contract anyway.
- Spending will happen again.
- They will buy what you sell.
- Plan to take advantage of companies that don’t plan.
- Plan to take advantage of companies on the fringe that might not be able to weather a storm.
- Plan to take advantage of a lull and build relationships with your competitors’ best contacts.
How? Find your competitors contacts and go get them. You know, this concept really shouldn’t change whether business is good or business is bad. It is just extra effective if you keep your head during troubling times when you position yourself as a qualified and ultimately pancake your panicking competitors.
Don’t know who is buying what you sell? Click here for a 4 minute sample of how you can find out.
Now, this is a different approach than a bid database because it revolves around people instead of opportunities. If you know who the people are, then you proactively go after those buyers and PMs as you would any strategic account. Check out how you can find the projects in your sweet spot.